The Board of Directors of Údarás na Gaeltachta today approved a total budget of €6.125 million to fund the implementation of the organization’s community development, language and cultural tourism program for 2022.
The figure is up by 1 million euros compared to last year.
Donegal stands to benefit substantially from the allocation, which includes administration grants for community development organizations and support for local community development committees.
Full release –
The Board of Directors of Údarás na Gaeltachta approved today (28/01/2022) a total budget of 6.125 million euros to finance the implementation of the program of community development, linguistic and cultural tourism of the organization for 2022. The approved budget for this program shows an increase of 1 M€ for 2022.
This program includes the provision of annual funding to the organization’s affiliates Muintearas CTR and Ealaín (na Gaeltachta) CTR as well as Comhar Naíonraí na Gaeltachta CTR as well as administration grants for community development organizations and committee support community development premises. The Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media provides an annual provision for the Community and Language Development Programme, which has increased by €1 million in 2022 and the rest of the budget is made available from the equity of Údarás na Gaeltachta.
Annual budgets of the branches of Údarás na Gaeltachta
A provision of €1.87 million has been approved by the council of Údarás na Gaeltachta for its subsidiaries and one strategic business implement their annual work programs in 2022.
- €590,000 was approved for Comhar Naionraí na Gaeltachta who provide a support service for a range of Gaeltacht early education services and to assist low attendance naíonraí in less developed, remote or island areas.
- €780,000 has been approved for Muintearas CTR promoting training, education, youth and early education projects and administering the summer camp program.
- €500,000 has been approved for Ealaín (na Gaeltachta) CTR to implement a comprehensive arts program in the Gaeltacht, including services and grant schemes, which support the development of arts organizations and individual artists in the Gaeltacht. The Arts Council has also significantly increased its co-funding for 2022.
Community development and language budget
A provision of €625,000, representing an increase of €185,000, was approved for various programs that promote community, language and tourism development.
- Funding of €155,000 has been approved for Local Community Development Program (LCDP) for two organizations under this program – Pobal le Chéile CDP CTR based in An Fál Carrach, Co. Donegal and CDP na Rosann CTR, An Clochán Liath, Co. Donegal.
- A provision of €165,000, an increase of €55,000, was approved for a range of support provided by An tÚdarás for activities and language preservation activities which aim to preserve, promote and develop the Irish language throughout the Gaeltacht.
- Given the hard blow received by the tourism sector, a provision of €145,000, an increase of €70,000, was approved for a range of activities to support the cultural tourism in the Gaeltacht, building on the partnerships established with cooperatives and other community and tourism organizations and to respond to projects that will contribute to the development of tourism in the Gaeltacht.
- In recognition of the important work done by committees and community organizations across the Gaeltacht, a significant increase is proposed for the Community Enterprise Program with a provision of €100,000 approved to assist community committees/organizations with the costs of developing small community initiatives, research or purchasing essential equipment.
- A provision of €60,000, an increase of €15,000, was approved like a gteic network support funds to help develop digital networks, in collaboration with cooperatives and community organizations, in areas where it will be difficult to cover the costs of placement and operation.
Social enterprise initiatives
A fund of €210,000 has been approved to support the work carried out by the community development unit of Údarás na Gaeltachta in relation to the Gaeltacht social enterprise program and the resulting mentoring process.
Údarás na Gaeltachta has placed particular emphasis on social enterprise, on the basis that it will enable Gaeltacht community development groups to provide additional services and projects in the Gaeltacht, and to do so in a way which will increase the revenue of the community development organization, this particular fund is provided to help community development organizations develop various initiatives.
The Gaeltacht Diaspora project is an integral part of Údarás na Gaeltachta’s 2021-2025 strategic plan and a new provision of €54,000 has been approved to build on the Diaspora program in 2022. There is a strong Gaeltacht diaspora around the world and has significant value in terms of networking, attracting people to their homes, investments and more. Údarás na Gaeltachta has made significant progress on the Diaspora project, with An tÚdarás mentioned, for example, in the bilateral policy between Ireland and Scotland, as well as the close links between the Gaeltacht regions and the United States. In 2021, the Gaeltacht Diaspora Center was established in conjunction with the Emigrant Memorial Center in Carna, creating a direct link to the Gaeltacht Diaspora.
Administration Grants for Community Development Organizations
A total service of €3,366,000 has been approved by the Board of Údarás na Gaeltachta in the Administration Grants for Community Development Organizations for 2022, indicating a €550,000 increase from 2021. Details of funding for individual organizations will be released in due course when work programs for 2022 have been approved.
Údarás na Gaeltachta provides administrative funding to 33 community organizations, between cooperatives and community enterprises, to help them implement a community development program in their functional areas that focus on the needs of the local community. Gaeltacht Cooperatives are an integral part of the Gaeltacht Development Foundation and play an important role in implementing the goals and objectives of the upcoming “Údarás na Gaeltachta Strategy 2021-2025”. They play an essential role in the implementation of the linguistic plans in their various fields as well as in supporting the development of the gteic network, the promotion of tourism and cultural projects and the examination of renewable energy opportunities for cooperatives, among other priorities.
The 2022 Community, Language and Community Development Organizations Fund
|Comhar Naionraí na Gaeltachta CTR||590,000|
|Ealaín (na Gaeltachta) CTR||500,000|
|Local Community Development Program (LCDP)||155,000|
|Language events and activities||165,000|
|Development of cultural tourism||145,000|
|Provision for aid to the development of the gteic network||60,000|
|Community Enterprise Program||100,000|
|Social enterprise initiatives||210,000|
|Administration Grants for Community Organizations||3,366,000|